Following a gluten free diet. Do I need supplement for any deficiency?

Geriatrics Specialist
I am following a gluten free diet wef 1.1.13. Please advise if I need to take any supplements/vitamin etc to cover up for any deficiency due to gluten free diet. I am 47 yrs and vegertarian.
Posted Tue, 12 Mar 2013 in Diet Plans
Answered by Dr. Surendiran Gaj 3 hours later
Hi there,

Gluten is the composite of a gliadin and a glutenin,is a protein composite found in foods processed from wheat, barley and rye.

Supplement protein in DIET by skipping most of wheat barley and rye products,add fruits to your meal plan, it will compensate most of vitamins.

The following will help you to supplement your gluten free diet

1 All plain fresh, frozen, or dried fruit, canned fruit in natural juice.
2 meat,fish,sea food,eggs
3 milk and milk products, cheese
4 pasta and noodles made with rice, corn, potato, and other safe flour.
5 cereals and legumes
6 coffee, tea, cocoa, and fruit juices are advisable to XXXXXXX up the calories.

Hope that helps.
Let me know if you have any questions.
Follow-up: Following a gluten free diet. Do I need supplement for any deficiency? 1 hour later
As stated in my question, I am a vegetarin and do not take meat, eggs etc. Therefore, please advise if anything is required to cover up the deficiency arising out of following a gluten free diet.

Answered by Dr. Surendiran Gaj 1 hour later
Hi there,
Thanks for writing back again,
As I mentioned already, certain micro nutrients is mandatory in gluten free diet like iron, calcium, fiber, thiamin, riboflavin, niacin and folate
This is available in adequate amount in fresh fruits XXXXXXX vegetables, curd, nuts and day to day meal plan like cereals and legumes. Plan a diet chart, having balanced calorie as well as supplements, like oatmeal added anyone fruit with some vegetables. Beans ,sweet potatoes, can be added as per your calorie requirements. For exact diet plan recipe for weeks, consult a nearby dietitian.
Hope that helps
Thank you