Folliculitis in pubic area, itchy, red boil, infection. Staph infection?

Boils? Staph vs HS? :

I recently had some folliculitis secondary to shaving my pubic area. The area was itchy and red and later a boil formed in the area, the first one I've ever had. Warm compresses and some draw out salve had the boil virtually gone in a few days. While draining, it was hard to keep the area covered because of the hair ( that I was now scared to shave). The small ingrown looking hairs around the boil looked a little worse once the boil had drained. My derm said it was secondary infection and gave me a zpack and bactroban ointment and within 5 days the are was almost completely healed. I now, just had another boil pop up in the surrounding area. Could it still be from the staph infection? I've found websites detailing HS and am now really anxious that it could be that! What are your thoughts? I have an upcoming appt with my derm, but I'll have to wait a few wks.
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 4 hours later

I agree with your doctor. It does sound like a simple Folliculitis.

It is common to have one or two recurrences after an initial episode.

Herpes mostly occurs on the penis (glans and prepuce). Presence of ingrown hair further suggests toward folliculitis (or pseudofolliculitis).

However, one can be 100% sure only after looking at the lesions. Seeing a dermatologist personally is a good idea.

You may also attach a picture of the lesion on the space provided on the right hand side of the query page. That will help me in suggesting you better.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my query in case you have no follow up queries.