Fluttering sensation in the head, just above ear. No pain or nausea. Should I be concerned?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2013
Apr 2013
Excellent

General Surgeon
Question
For the past couple of days i have had a fluttering sensation on the left side of my head, just above my ear. No pain or nausea. Just wondering if this is somethign serious or just muscle spasms?
Posted Wed, 22 May 2013 in Headache and Migraines

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 15 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thank you for your querry.
In most cases this isnt anything serious and is caused by temporal muscles spasm just as it can be found in any other muscle in our body.So this shouldnt concern you at all.
Considering your diabetes there can be certain degree of neuropathy,but this is usually found in late and non-regulated diabetes and in people who use insuline.
Third cause is neuralgia,most commonly facial and trigeminal.It should be considered if you start to feel intensive pain instead of fluttering associated with vision and hearing disorders,nausea and vomiting.In these cases pain would be felt a bit more closer to eyes and nose and triggered by cold, noise,respiratory infection and stress. So if you experience any of these difficulties you should visit neurologist for certain medicines prebscription.
If not, then you dont have to worry.
WIsh you good health. If you have any question I ll be glad to help.

Follow-up: Fluttering sensation in the head, just above ear. No pain or nausea. Should I be concerned? 22 minutes later
Thank you so much for your help. Can these spasms be caused by stress or perhaps a pinched nerve?

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 5 minutes later
Yes,of course,any psychosomatic cause. Also any headache, migraine or muscle pulling, head trauma etc.
There are various causes but there is no specific tretament,and isnt actually necessary.

Follow-up: Fluttering sensation in the head, just above ear. No pain or nausea. Should I be concerned? 5 minutes later
Thanks again for your help :)

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 13 minutes later
You re welcome