Fluttering sensation behind the ear, congestion in the middle ear

I have a fluttering feeling in the back right side of my head (back behind the ear area). It does not hurt at all but feel like a fluttering sensation. What could this be?
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 17 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.

I will work on providing you with some good information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

Two things come to mind related to the fluttering which you describe. The first consideration would be fluid behind the eardrum. This can sometimes cause some congestion in the middle ear which could translate into the type of symptom you report. You did not indicate any troubles with your ear so I would consider this possibility less likely.

The second possibility is irritation of one of the musles which is located in the back of
your head and just behind the ear. If the nerve becomes inflamed it can trigger tiny spasms of the muscles in that region.
As for what triggered the inflammation, it can range from a minor injury such as bumping your head or from the way you may have slept on that portion of your head in the recent past.

I would recommend you try taking some ibuprofen for a period of time to see if this affects a response. I would recommend 400 mg 3 tines per day for 7 days and we should expect to see a response within that period of time.

Thanks again for the query. I hope this serves to be helpful and informative. Should you have additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga