Fluttering, pulsing sensation behind sternum. No medical history and in good health. Causes for palpitations?

I have a fluttering or pulsing sensation behind what feels like the upper portion of my sternum, it is painless just worried about it. Thanks for any help. I'm 25 in great shape.
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 46 minutes later
The symptoms you described is most likely due to palpitation caused by anxiety.
Other possible causes are premature ventricular contractions (PVC's) or Gastro esophageal reflux disorder (GERD).
You need to have a 24-hour Holter monitor to identify any such occasional rhythm disturbances.
For GERD, taking antacids like Tums or proton pump inhibitors will help.
Avoid oily and spicy food.Also reduce tea, coffee, alcohol , smoking. Drink at least 2 litres of water everyday. Eat dinner 2 hrs before sleeping .
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.