Fluttering in the chest. Had high fever and dehydration in the past. History of hypertension

About two months ago I was ill with a high fever and dehydration. After the illness I had a flutter in my chest. This has continued until now, periodically. I stay in Vietnam and have been to three different hospitals each telling me I have high blood pressure 150 over 99 but not what is causing the flutter. This is not a pain but is annoying and is not continuous. It will go for days some times a week.
Posted Wed, 27 Jun 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 3 hours later

This feeling of flutter that you are experiencing can be due to palpitations and even if your blood pressure is high, you need a through body examination for these palpitations.

Amongst the general diseases, anxiety, a low hemoglobin (anemia) and hyperthyroidism are important causes.Other causes include abnormal levels of electrolytes like potassium, magnesium, and calcium,caffeine,tobacco and alcohol intake,stress,heart conditions like narrowing of the coronary arteries, paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardias or Wolfe-Parkinson-White syndrome and medicines like asthma and thyroid medicines.

For ruling out the cardiac causes, you might need further tests like an echocardiography, 24 hour EKG monitoring etc. In addition you need to get your hemoglobin levels and thyroid profile test done.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.