Fluttering feeling in the ear. No pain or burning. Reason?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question

For the past week I've had a fluttering feeling behind my left ear. It's not on my ear or in my ear, but feels like it is in my hair/head right above/behind my ear. It feels as if there were a moth fluttering its wings. I've brushed my hair- my scalp does not itch, there is no pain, no burning or tingling, just fluttering (annoying). I'm wondering what it is...
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
The fluttering feeling behind your ear is most likely a localized muscle twitch or fasciculation. It is a small, local, involuntary muscle contraction and relaxation visible under the skin arising from the spontaneous discharge of a bundle of skeletal muscle fibers.
Most common cause of such fasciculations in an adult is stress and anxiety. A kind of vicious circle may operate here. Trying to cover up the twitch causes anxiety and this anxiety of this causes the twitch.
Management of this problem in the first place is, if you can at all, to remove any anxiety and stress in your life. This is best done by facing up to your stressors and dealing with them.

An additional help might be to learn self-hypnosis techniques specifically designed to control and ultimately eliminate this problem.

I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow-up: Fluttering feeling in the ear. No pain or burning. Reason? 1 hour later
I have the same problemon my back, middle to upper right side, same type of feeling different place. Is it the same thing? They are never fluttering at the same time.

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Hello.

Thanks for writing again.

The fluttering on your back also seems to be the same problem.

The presence of weakness, fatigue and generalized fasciculations could indicate the possibility of a endocrine or a electrolyte deficiency.

You might consult your doctor who can order
1. A few blood tests including thyroid function tests,
2. Serum electrolytes including Serum calcium and potassium levels.
3. Serum B12 levels.

The treatment of most of the conditions is very easy and the condition will resolve on its own. In some cases, prescription medications might be needed to stop severe symptoms.

Hope my answer is helpful. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Regards.

Follow-up: Fluttering feeling in the ear. No pain or burning. Reason? 4 hours later
I got a physical a month ago and all vitamin levels were normal- no thyroid problems - the only thing that was abnormal was a little bit of a fatty liver.

My main question I guess is if both of these are stress/anxiety related. I'm hoping it's not anything more. I'm currently getting treatment for the anxiety and eating disorder so hopefully that will help if in fact it's stress related.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my final question.

Hello.

If your routine work up is within normal limits, then most likely it is related to stress only. A good anti anxiety agent with low day time sedation can help you in improving your symptoms.

Regards.