Fluttering and pain in lower back. Noticed blood in urine. Is this a kidney infection?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hello. I have been having lower right back fluttering and some pain. At firstr, I thought it was just back pain which I do have from time to time. But this fluttering and dull pain is continuing. Also, yesterday, it seemed like my urine was blood tinged when I wiped. Is this a kidney infection?
forgot to add that I also drink alot of Coke; sometimes several a day. I have noticed, however, that in the last few days that I cannot finish a Coke. I end up only drinking half because thats when the fluttering becomes a dull pain or "pulling" feeling in lower back. And the blood in my urine was only noticed when I wiped. Very faint that I thought I was seeing things. And I do have to urinate alot. And I have to beware when I cough or sneeze because of urine leakage. I do drink water and juice along with sweet iced tea sometimes. I hope this helps.
Posted Wed, 27 Feb 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 24 minutes later

Fluttering sensation in the back along with pain in the lumbar area, points towards four possibilities which should be investigated. These are:

1) Firstly it can be a muscle strain or muscle twitching which is causing localized pain in the area.

2) Secondly it is important to rule out any kidney stones which may present as such pain radiating to the back. For this purpose you need to get an ultrasound/ CT (Computerized Tomography) abdomen and kidneys done.

3) Third possibility is of any twisted ovarian cyst . An ultrasound of the abdomen/ CT can check the status of ovarian cysts.

4) Last possibility is of any spinal nerve compression but this should be the last possibility which should be ruled out after kidney stones and ovarian cysts.

Apply warm compresses and take some anti inflammatory pain killer like Acetaminphen (Tylenol). If the symptoms persist then you should get an ultrasound abdomen done to confirm the diagnosis.

Till then, drink lots of water for it does facilitate at least in preventing the formation of new stones. Drinking lots of water helps to flush away the substances that form stones in the kidneys. Also indulge in exercises like skipping and trampolining which might help in flushing out the small stones if any.

I hope this is helpful to you.

Wishing you good health...
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.