Flutter in throat, skipping heart beats. What could be the reason?

Hi, ive been getting a flutter feeling in my throat for the past 2 weeks, on and off. and once the flutter feeling hits my throat my heart seems to stop (or skip a beat), then resumes with a pounding beat for its next beat. i sometimes go days without the symptoms, which last a second each time. i dont notice the heat skipping beat feeling unless i take my pulse while the flutter hits my throat. Waht do you think? thankyou
Posted Wed, 6 Jun 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later

Considering your description of the problem I suspect it being the inverse.Flutter in the throat is not causing the missed beats in heart, instead it could be the heart rhythm disturbance felt in the neck arteries as a flutter.

Not all rhythm disturbances in heart are felt as a flutter in the throat.Such a presentation can be expected when there is a minor vascular malformation in the neck along with the heart defect.

I suggest you to first go for a cardio check up and get a Holter monitoring done which picks up the rhythm disturbance and can identify the problem in its early stage.Even if a vascular malformation exists in the neck it could not be as XXXXXXX as a heart defect.Hence, do first get the heart evaluated.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.