Fluorescein angiography suggests retinitis pigmentosa. Cure or treatment ?

In 09/17/2003 an examination of angiograms performed, the result was the following:

- Taste hypofluorescent by perfusion deficit.
- Peridiscais areas show hipofluorescency by non-perfusion.
- Other atrophic areas scattered in "fundus" of both eyes.
- Macular areas show hiperfluorescent lesions by transmition and non-fluorescent atrophic points.
- Speckled of the "fundus" changed to accentuated mosaic pattern, more from the middle periphery.
- Grouped pigments exert blocking of fluorescence.
- There was no uptake or leakage of the XXXXXXX

Suggestive images of carpet-retinal pigmentary dystrophy type abiotrofia with macular disease. The group of RP?
I suggest study by ocular electrophysiology (ERG or EOG).

(Photos: 2003-09-17-PHOTO-1 to 2003-09-17-PHOTO-6. )

On 04/15/2004 perimetry carried out an examination, which resulted in the following is shown 2004-04 PERIMETRY-15-1-to 2004-04-15-PERIMETRY-2.

I carried out an examination on 04/22/2004, ocular electrophysiology, the result is shown from 2004-04-22-LKC-1 to 2004-04-22-KCL-6. Also, a photo follows - 2004-04-22-PHOTO.

The test result from the electroretinogram was:

- Scotopic / mesopic:
- Right eye: obtained severely reduced amplitude responses.
- Left eye: obtained reduced amplitude responses by approximately 60 to 70% of normal.

- Photopeak / 30Hz Flicker:
- Right eye: obtained reduced amplitude responses by approximately 70%.
- Left eye: obtained reduced amplitude responses by approximately 40 to 50% of normal.

The results indicate widespread impairment in the retina of both eyes including rods and cones, especially in the right eye in number and / or function of the rods, indicating tapetoretinal degeneration.

The result of the visual evoked potential test was:

Performed under optimal technical conditions in both eyes, alone, with vision correction.

- Right eye: we obtained responses of normal amplitude and prolonged latency in all standards, up to 32 x 32.
- Left eye: we obtained responses of normal amplitude and prolonged latency in all standards, up to 32 x 32.

On 04/27/2004 I received another result from the doctor that said:

The results may suggest delays in the transmission of nerve impulses and may indicate low vision by macular changes and / or optic nerve. I suggest to correlate with ERG, which showed central pathology, involving cones.

Arden Ratio:
- Right eye: 1.38
- Left eye: 1.56

- Normal:> 2.0
- Borderline: 1.8 to 2.0
- Subnormal: <1.8

Comments: The results indicate widespread RPE impairment in both eyes, more accentuated in the right eye.

In 13/07/2005 I realized a new perimeter. The results were 2005-07-13-PERIMETRY-1 and 2005-07-13-PERIMETRY-2.

In 27/07/2005 I performed an angiography, the result was:
- Papillary excavation of 2/6.
- Extensive brownish lesions disseminated.
- Arteriolar narrowing.

and the result of the fluorescein angiography was:
- Hypofluorescent areas with hyperfluorescent lips related to the lesions described above.

The conclusion was: retinitis pigmentosa.

Doctor, reading my tests above, ask:

1. what do I really have?

2. Is there a cure or treatment?

3. What orientation would you recommend me?

Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 28 minutes later
You are having a macular degenerative disease called retinitis pigmentosa. There is no definitive treatment for this disorder but the medicines are given to retard the progression of the disease.
A high dose of Vitamin A along with annual liver function test screening is recommended. Supplements of Docosahexaenoic acid are also helpful.
Aceatzolamide eye drops are given to reduce macular edema which helps in vision improvement.
Leutin and Zeaxanthin supplements are also helpful. You can get all these medicines prescribed from your treating ophthalmologist and can discuss the scope of retinal tissue transplantation in your case.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.