Fluid filled painful growth inside vagina. What is it?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I have a strange growth coming out of my vagina. I can sort of push it back in, but sometimes it just pops out. It's about the size of a almond and it appears to be attached to the wall of my vagina. It also is filled with fluid/ maybe some blood. It sort of started hurting today, but I'm not sure if it was because I was sitting cross-legged. What is it? What do I need to do about it?
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 4 hours later

According to your description, you might be suffering from inflammation of the bartholin glands which are two very tiny glands secreting lubricating fluid. Sometimes one of these glands form a fluid filled bartholin cyst due to blocked drainage. It is usually painless to start just feel like a fluid filled swelling in vagina near entrance but if it gets infected it becomes pus filled and painful i.e. called bartholin’s abscess.

You seem to have recent infection of the bartholin cyst, so please consult your gynecologist as soon as feasible so that the diagnosis can be confirmed and treatment can be started.

Treatment of early conditions includes medication like antibiotics antiinflammatory drugs.
Warm sitz bath taken at home may help in early healing and provide some relief.

In very late cases, if you develop fever, tenderness or very painful enlarged abscess, minor surgical drainage may be required.

Currently I think your case can be treated conservatively with medical drugs - anti inflammatory medication along with antibiotics. I encourage you to consult your gynecologist for a thorough examination. Surgical drainage is entailed after physical consultation.

Though there is no emergency to see a doctor soon, it's best to visit your doctor early to help in faster healing.

Hope I have answered your query. I'll be available for any follow up queries. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.