Fluid filled lump in the groin area, nausea. Diagnosed with gall stones. Biopsy not required. Causes?

I am a 45 year old female that has had a lump in the right groin for over a year. It started out small and hard, but in the past few months has got big and has discharged a lot of clear/orange type fluid. 18 months ago I was diagnosed with a gallstone, however I had to wait a year to have it removed during which time I became unwell. I began getting very bad pain and reduced mobility in my right him, and scans have shown that there is sever inflamation in the right hip soft tissue - but have not indicated any joint problems. The doctors I have seen haven't taken on board what I was saying about my symptoms generally which include nausea, high temperature etc. The lump releases fluid and sometimes squirts blood. There now appears to be a couple of these lumps all with hard centres surrounded by softer swelling (what I think may be fluid). The doctors seem reluctant to biopsy the lump.
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 2 hours later

I would like to know a few more things to understand properly and give proper advise on this.

Please let me know,

1. Whether there is any increase in size in recent times ?
2. Was there any weight loss?
3. Are you Diabetic ?
4. Do you have any problem like pain while walking etc. in your right hip at present ?
5. Do you have fever ?

With first impression and details given at present, it seems his lump could be enlarged lymph nodes in the area.

The lymph nodes gets enlarged whenever there is infection in the nearby area. This infection can be anywhere near the hip joint, any pelvic infection, or any infection in limb.

The skin above them can be ulcerated due to repeated friction over it and can lead to infection and discharge from it.

Your physician might not be advising biopsy because he may have some clue about the cause and might be thinking that treatment of primary ailment will take care of this.

Please write again with above details, shall be waiting for your reply.

Follow-up: Fluid filled lump in the groin area, nausea. Diagnosed with gall stones. Biopsy not required. Causes? 7 hours later
Thanks for your response - I've answered your additional questions below. The doctors seem to be focussing more on the pain control rather than the lump itself... perhaps the cause of the lump. I've been saying for many months that I feel flu like all of the time. The other thing is they did one white blood cell count test and it came back 'normal' however, I am on high dose Effexor XL which I understand can reduce the white blood count - therefore this may be why my blood count is not showing a raised white blood count.

To answer your questions.
1. Whether there is any increase in size in recent times ? - Yes, it has steadily got bigger over the past 3 months.
2. Was there any weight loss? Yes, although my abodmen is very swollen I have lost weight on the face and other areas of my body.
3. Are you Diabetic ? No, I'm not diabetic
4. Do you have any problem like pain while walking etc. in your right hip at present ? - I have constant pain in my hip and increasingly throughout my leg at all times. This is unbearable when I put weight on it. Scans have not shown any sign of joint damage etc.

For pain management I am on 30/500 Co-codamol 2 x 4 per day. Butrans 10 microgram patches 24/7

I hope this helps clarify things.
Many thanks for taking the time on this matter.
5. Do you have fever ?
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 39 minutes later

Good to hear from you again.

A lump in the groin region discharging fluid and some times blood is a concerning problem. Based on your description, the cause of this lump could be
1. Inflammed lymphnode
2. Infection

A proper focal examination of the lump will help us diagnose the exact condition. You may need a few test such as repeat blood counts, microscopic examination of the discharge, Ultrasound of abdomen, CT/MRI scans.

In addition, MRI of hip joint to rule out avascular necrosis of femur may be needed. Avascular necrosis of femur (AVN) is a condition in which the blood supply to femur bone in the hip joint is compromised leading to extreme pain and other symptoms.

A physician will help in streamlining these test and guide you through all the procedure.

Treatment can be conservative by using anti inflammatory and antibiotics. Some of the cases may need surgical treatment.

Keep regular follow up with your doctor and discuss with him as mentioned above.

Take analgesic as per need, take good diet XXXXXXX in fruits and salads and keep a watch in your weight.

I hope this helps,

Wishing you speedy recovery,