Fluid filled itchy blister on the toe. Medication needed?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have a blister on the top of my foot behind the second and third toe. It started day before yesterday looking like bug bites. It is itchy, but not painful. Over night for the past two nights, the blister has increased in size until now it is approximately the size of a dime. It seems to be filled with clear fluid, but has not broken open. There are four other spots on the top of my foot that look like ant bites, which is how the blister first looked. What do you think it is and what should I do about it?
Posted Sat, 23 Jun 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
From your description, it seems that the lesions are most commonly the result of superficial staphylococcus bacterial infection. Insect bites are not usually pustules, are more inflamed and painful, much more serious if a poisonous one. So, that's good news for you.

I would suggest you to not to pop these blisters, and keep the area clean. You can apply over the counter antiseptics for a couple of days after bath, and see if the lesion gets any better. You can plan the next step later, in the event if it doesn't. Keep a vigil on the number of lesions. Go for a review if numbers are increasing steadily and worsening happens over the next few days. Oral antibiotics may be needed in such cases.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.