Fluid collection after umbilical hernia surgery. Remedy?

Hi i had a umblical mesh hernia operation 7 months ago i am still experiencing fluid build up and have had it drained 4 times already and now the mesh maybe infected what are they doing wrong..
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later

Thanks for the query

Collection of fluid in an already operated umbilical hernia could mean the following things

1. Hernia away from the initial repair
2. Giving away of the sutures
3. Infection
4. Gross ascites can sometimes lead to fluid collection and causing the umbilicus to every

(Ascites is collection of large quantities of fluid within the abdomen most commonly seen in chronic liver failure)

Infection of the mesh is a serious situation which might lead to a systemic infection called sepsis. This is a possibility in Diabetics because of tougher and resistant healing. Control of blood glucose and avoiding complications can play a key role. Kindly XXXXXXX an experienced surgeon for second opinion and timely action. Sometimes the mesh may not be helpful.

I hope I have answered all your query, please click on the accept button if there are no further queries

I wish you a speedy recovery