Fluctuating BP,swollen neck lymph nodes, lumps on back of head and peyers patch region, fatigue

I have had a number of health issues for the past 4 weeks as follows: high blood pressure; neck lymph nodes swollen and lumps on back of head (dr. gave me antibiotics); fatigue; and just found a lump in the peyers patch region. 3 weeks ago I had lungs, heart, liver and kidneys checked (bloodwork) everything seems okay. My blood pressure is down to about 155/90 however I have never had high blood pressure in my life. Any Ideas what's going on?
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Lymphoma
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

It is not normal to find swollen lymph nodes on the body. Lymphadenopathy (swollen lymph nodes) is usually caused by a viral or bacterial infection. Did you suffer with any bacterial or viral infection recently? Other causes include allergic reactions, arthritis, cancer like lymphomas, metabolic diseases, and an overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism).

The swollen lumps on back of head could have been infected hair follicles or acne keloidalis nuchae which occurs when hairs on the back of the head and neck grow into the skin. However this has been resolved by suitable antibiotics. Regarding the high blood pressure, are you on any medication to control the Blood Pressure?

May I know the Anti Hypertensive medications you are on at present (if any) and if you are not taking any antihypertensive drug then it is better to consult a physician and get it prescribed. Also restrict the salt intake in your diet.

For the swollen lymph nodes, you need to get a FNAC (fine needle aspiration cytology) of the lymph nodes and swollen glands. FNAC is aspiration of the material of the glands which is done by a fine gauge needle (22 or 25 gauge) and a syringe. This will confirm the diagnosis of the cause of swollen lymph nodes.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Fluctuating BP,swollen neck lymph nodes, lumps on back of head and peyers patch region, fatigue 6 hours later
To answer your questions I am not on high blood pressure medication as my pressure has always been normal until recently. Also, I have have had no bacterial or viral infection to my knowledge. My father died of non-hodgkins disease when he was my age, is this hereditory?

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 27 hours later
Hi again,

Thanks for following up.

Genetic mutations is one of the well known factors associated with cancers including Non Hodgkin's lymphoma. But the hereditary transmission of mutated genes to offspring's is yet to be proved scientifically.

Though family history of NHL puts you at small risk, the definitive chances of you developing lymphoma cannot be predicted.

Physical examination and biopsy is entailed to confirm or rule out lymphoma's.

Hope I have answered your query.

Wish you good health!!