Flu symptoms, chills, fatigue, diarrhea, dehydration, loose stools, burning in chest, viral infection

Hello Doctor,
The past 30 days I've had 4 episodes of flu-like symptoms. It starts with chills/fatigue/diarrhea/dehydration and then I'm bed-ridden with fatigue for 3-7 days. Blood tests and urinalysis during the 2nd episode revealed nothing. Today, it happened a fifth time, starting with 5 min of a burning sensation in my chest, slight loss of feeling and coldness in my extremities, then minor chills, loose bowels, and extreme fatigue. What should I do?
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query,

I believe that you have a Viral Infection. All the signs and symptoms co-relate well with the diagnosis.
It seems that your body immunity has gone down and you need to increase the body immunity. You may do so by starting Vitamin B Complex with minerals twice a day. Take plenty of hot liquids like Soup etc.

Kindly get Complete Blood Count, Urine (Routine, Micro) & Stool (Routine, Micro). Liver Function and Renal Function Tests are also necessary. Also check of your HIV status. If no infection is found in the above-mentioned pathological tests, antivirals may be started also.

Kindly post the reports here and I shall wait for your follow-up.

Not related with your immediate disease but you can also consider asking your doctor to change the antibiotic Tetracycline to Doxycycline. The reason is that both belong to the same group, but side-effects profile of Doxycycline is better. Also tetracycline has to be taken 4 times a day, while Doxycycline is to be given twice a day.

Hope I have answered your queries. I am available for your follow-ups.
Follow-up: Flu symptoms, chills, fatigue, diarrhea, dehydration, loose stools, burning in chest, viral infection 48 hours later
Thank you for your reply. I've started the vitamin B complex & hot liquids and have a doctor appt. in 4 days. I am much stronger now than I was during previous episodes so perhaps I'm beating this virus.

In order to provide you with reports, I assume I need to not press "I accept the answer" so that I can instead post follow-ups. Let me know if that's not the case. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 9 hours later

You can send me the reports at YYYY@YYYY (subject: Attention Dr Pandya). After mailing the reports please click the "I have more questions" button and mention thereafter that you have E mailed the reports.

Once you are satisfied with my final answer then only click the "I accept the answer" button. Do not click now otherwise you will not be able to ask follow up queries.

Wish you good health.