Flu, stomach cramping, red blotches all over body. Suffering from cerebral palsy. Administered ibuprofen. Advise medication

My child has cerebral palsy and he is sick right now. he has had flu like symptoms for 8 days and its causing his stomach a lot of cramping as well. My concern is he woke up this morning with red blotches all over more dominant on his cheeks and his ears are bright red. He's warm so I have him ibuprophen and a bath to cool him down but it didn't go away.
Posted Tue, 23 Apr 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Balaji Chinnasami 1 hour later

Thanks for your query to XXXXXXX

It looks like your child is suffering from Infection, probably a viral infection. Since this has been persisting for more than 8 days,

Have you consulted a pediatrician?

Has any blood tests been done (to know the cause of his sickness)?

How long have you been giving him Ibuprofen- because ibuprofen is known to cause rashes and gastritis (ie stomach upset) in some children. Paracetamol(Tylenol)is safer alternative than ibuprofen. Anti ulcer drugs like gelusil, digene helps soothe the cramps. For the rash application of calamine containing lotions is recommended.

I strongly suggest you to see a pediatrician if you hadn't seen so far, because fever over a week bothers me.

Hope your son gets well soon. Take care.

I would be happy to answer further queries, or else kindly close the query & rate it.

Dr. Balaji Chinnasami
Assistant Professor-Pediatrics.