Flu, on vitamins, drink juices, recurring condition, infection contracted from others. Treatment ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hello, so EVERY year i get flu because of others and not because i am walking around with shorts and get cold. I have the flu vaccine but everytime i go to the lecture room half of the lecture theatre is coughing and i am so fed up everytime i get sick because of others that do not care about spreading their flu. what can i do? seriously. dont tell me not to go to my lectures. A mask would be the best solution but on the other hand everyone will make fun of it so ( i take vitamins every day, drink juices) what can i do so i dont get the flu AGAIN.
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 13 minutes later

Thanks for posting the query.

I can understand your plight in this situation. It appears that you have a high propensity to catching the 'Flu'.

Usually some people are more prone due to disorganised immunity which can result from a multitude of factors.

I would like to inform you that a diet XXXXXXX in proteins will help fight infections the best, because the immunity if produced by immunoglobins which have a protein component in them. You need to eat a diet XXXXXXX in cereals, pulses, chicken, eggs, lean meat. Also have plenty of fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables.

It is impossible to be away from those who cough or who have the flu but you may request them to use a handkerchief while sneezing or coughing especially if they are near you. This is good for hygiene as well.

Flu shots do not cover all the possible viral infections which can occur which is why they do not always work. You can consult your ENT Doctor to find out if there is any problem with adenoids, tonsils which can become inflammed and cause frequent respiratory tract infections.

Do regular exercise to boost your overall immunity. Get 6-8 hours of sleep, as lack of sleep can also decrease immunity and make you prone for infections.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.