Flu, numbness and stiffness of fingers, pernicious anaemia. Is it hypothyroidism or hookworm?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I'm feeling so exhausted and aching all over similar to flu but with no fever with slight numbness and stiffness of my fingers.I've been feeling like this for 5 days now and is beginning to get me down as i'm too tired to do anything.I have pernicious anaemia and had my b12 injection 1 month ago and take 3 iron tablets daily.I couldnt get a doctors appt until a week monday but feel i should insist an earlier one.Is it possible that it is hypothyroidism or a hookworm as i lived in the middleeast for 6 years 12 years ago and swam in many rivers.I'd be greatfull for your advise
Posted Sun, 1 Jul 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
The generalized body aches that you are having for last 5 days could be due to-
1. Generalized viral illness.
2. Improper diet.
3. Abnormal body posture, muscle overuse.
4. Electrolyte imbalance.
5. Hormonal disbalance like hypothyroidism.
5. Anxiety neurosis.
These symptoms are not likely to be related to hookworm infeststion.
All these possibilities need to be ruled out after a proper physical examination and related blood tests.
Till the time you get evaluated for these possibilities, there are some of the other lifestyle options which you can follow:

1) You can take a mild pain killer like paracetamol or ibuprofen for symptomatic relief. Taking a well balanced diet will be helpful.

2) Do not take caffeine or alcohol at night just before going to bed.

3) Indulge in yoga and meditation to calm your mind.

4) You can also indulge in progressive muscle relaxation which is useful in anxiety by alternately tensing and relaxing the muscles.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Flu, numbness and stiffness of fingers, pernicious anaemia. Is it hypothyroidism or hookworm? 40 hours later
Thank you so much for the reply.I took some pain relief and as suggested decided possible electrolyte imbalance and took some dirolyte and drank lots of water.2 hours later I felt much better.I think i must have over indulged with alchol and salty takeaways over jubilee weekend.So a big thank you for your help.However i would like to know if a electrolyte imbalance affects iron tablet absorption?Thanking you in advance.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Electrolyte imbalance is not likely to affect absorption of iron on a long term basis. To increase the iron absorption, you can add vitamin C supplements to your diet and avoid caffeine.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.