Flu like symptoms with very chesty cough, sound in right ear, dizziness, dry mouth. Is it ear infection ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I had flu like symptoms, including very chesty cough. 2weeks ago. They have now passed but I've got a constant beating sound in my right ear. Im also very nauseous the last few days. Some dizziness, i was noticing that when i coughed i went very dizzy. Also very dry mouth. Wat could this be? Mum suggests an ear infection or dehydration
Posted Tue, 12 Jun 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 1 hour later
Hi there.

Do you have fever, hearing loss, ringing sensation in the ears, nose block or nasal discharge ?

Any headache, giddiness, inability to maintain balance ?

Are you on any medication ?

It is possible you're suffering from upper respiratory tract.

I suggest you do steam inhalation, and eat and drink warm food and fluids respectively. Keep warm with protective clothing. Avoid exposure to cold weather and pollution. The steam inhalation will help eradicate the ear infection by opening the ear tubes and also help with your dry mouth.

Eat a diet XXXXXXX in proteins, fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Drink 1-2 litres of water daily. Get 6-8 hours of sleep daily. Avoid smoking, alcohol. Try to take rest and avoid strenuous activity.

You can take Cough suppressant like Codeine syrup for dry cough to prevent the cough which is causing you dizziness.

Kindly consult your Doctor if you have yellowish colored sputum, blood in sputum, persistent hearing loss or severe weakness or giddiness.

You may require antibiotics like Levofloxacin which are effective against respiratory infections which can be prescribed by your Doctor as seen needed, depending on your clinical history and examination.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wishing speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Flu like symptoms with very chesty cough, sound in right ear, dizziness, dry mouth. Is it ear infection ? 9 minutes later
I do have some dizziness, and a heartbeat sensation in my ear which has only just started and ifs thumping away constantly. Im not on any medication, and i no longer have a cough , the flulike symptoms have gone. I have no pain, just nausea and this beating in my ear. Also getting headaches
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 13 minutes later
Hi there.

Thanks for the reply.

The sensation in your ear is called Tinnitus. It can be found in ear infections or collection of fluid behind the ear drum. This can also cause headaches.

Perform steam inhalation and also you may apply Otrivin nasal drops provided you have no medical contraindication for the same. These methods shall clear up the swelling and blockage of the ear and allow the accumulated fluid to drain away freely. Once this is taken care of, you shall experience relief. You may take Acetaminophen or Paracetamol for your headaches, under medical supervision.

I suggest you get your ear looked at by an ENT Surgeon to rule out possible damage to ear drum due to the violent coughing and also to take care of ongoing ear infection which may require antibiotics.

I hope I have answered your query.

Wishing speedy recovery.