Flu like symptoms, chesty cough, constant beating sound in ears, nausea, dizziness. What could this be?

I had flu like symptoms, including very chesty cough. 2weeks ago. They have now passed but I've got a constant beating sound in my right ear. Im also very nauseous the last few days. Some dizziness, i was noticing that when i coughed i went very dizzy. Also very dry mouth. Wat could this be? Mum suggests an ear infection or dehydration
Posted Tue, 12 Jun 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 1 hour later

I will try my best to provide you with best possible professional recommendations to your questions.

These are symptoms of post viral infection.

The main symptoms are disabling fatigue, musculoskeletal pain, and mood disturbance. Other symptoms experienced are nausea, dizziness, loss of appetite.

Ringing in the ear known as tinnitus might be due to wax in the ear which is one of the most common cause, removal of wax is helpful if present.

It is also a subjective feeling i advice you is as post-viral fatigue usually improve over time, it is better to wait. You can help yourself by not overworking on the days that you feel good, but trying to maintain a consistent routine every day, gradually building up exercise and activity is beneficial.

Dehydration after a viral infection is very common, so you should frequently consume sips of water to prevent dehydration.

Even though dizziness and tinnitus do suggest ear infection but are also seen after viral infection. I advice you to wait for week or so, then also if the tinnitus and dizziness persists it is better to see a ENT specialist(otorhinolaryngologist).

Yet again, I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.

Hope i have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer