Flu, cough, fever, chills, body pain. Not on medications, no medical history. Causes for mucus in cough?

I've had the flu for the past week - started out with a dry, unproductive cough and a fever with chills and body aches. My fever broke last night and I feel a million times better today, though I still have the cough and it is very productive, and today my coughs started smelling weird. The mucus is clearish-white with a little yellow here and there but mostly clear/white so I don't think it's an infection. But I don't know what the weird smell would be from since everything else seems fine now. Everyone keeps telling me I should see a doctor but I don't know if there's anything they could do for me anyway. I'm generally very healthy and don't take any prescription medications Should I see a doctor?
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Radhika 1 hour later

Dry cough will be seen in such as common cold, allergies, post nasal drip, whooping cough and irritation due to pollutants.

Since your fever has reduced and you still have cough with mild smelly mucus discharge, it most probably looks like an upper respiratory tract infection.

You will need to take antibiotics for this along with steam inhalation. You will need to get the antibiotics prescribed by a physician.cSo you should see a doctor since it has persisted for more than a week.

I would suggest that you take the following measures:

1.Prevent dehydration, drink sufficient fluids especially boiled water.
2.Elevate your head with extra pillows at night to ease a cough.
3.Stop smoking if you do and do not use other forms of tobacco, especially while you have a cough.
4.Avoid exposure to inhaled irritants, such as smoke, dust, or other pollutants, or wear a face mask.
5.Do a salt water gargle twice daily.
6.You can use cough lozenges.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.