Flu, anaemic, fatigue, backache. ESR rising. What can be the diagnosis?

My esr is 85 and rising. I have onset of flu and am anaemic as my level is 6.
First FBT taken 3wks ago and further test undertaken two wks later revealed elevated level by 5. Symptoms that led to fBT; extreme fatigue and moderate back ache- no weight loss and no pregnancy.
As the esr marker is rising what other tests would you recommend please and some guidance as to likely Diagnosis.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 12 hours later

With such a rising ESR, back ache, fatigue and low hemoglobin count, three possibilities should be ruled out. These are:

1)     Multiple myeloma: It is a tumor of the bone cells and typically presents with pain in the back. It is diagnosed by Electrophoresis (EP) which measures the levels of various proteins in the blood or urine.Bone scans and sometimes helpful in confirming.

2)     Second possibility is of tuberculosis. For this an x-ray chest and ultrasound abdomen should be done.

3)     Third possibility is of lymphoma.

For ruling out these conditions, you need to consult a hematologist and get the above mentioned investigations done.

Hope this answers your query.

If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.