Floating, colored particles in urine, 13 weeks pregnant, taking Amoxicillin for strep. Should I be concerned?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
Hi I'm 13.5 weeks pregnant and just noticed some floating colored particles in my urine. I called my doctor's office who said not to worry it's probably related to the amoxicillin I'm on for the group b strep but I cant find any information online about this and just not sure if I should be concerned about these floaters? Thanks.
Posted Wed, 26 Sep 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 3 hours later
hi,

the possible causes for those floating colored particles are,
-60 to 70% of amoxicillin will excrete through kidney, in part of it inactive pencilloic acid can excrete in urine that can appear as particles,
-presence of contamination with vaginal discharge etc,

so if you are not having any symptoms like pain abdomen, pain or burning in micturition, frequency of urination etc then no need to worry, take plenty of water.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Floating, colored particles in urine, 13 weeks pregnant, taking Amoxicillin for strep. Should I be concerned? 1 hour later
Hi Dr. Gouri,
Quick follow-up question, obviously being 13.5 wks pregnant I am experiencing frequency of urination and some abdominal cramping (at times) which I know is common and expected, therefore should I only be concered if the frequency and/or intensity of the cramping changes and same thing with the frequency of urination.

Thank you! XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 9 hours later
hi XXXXXXX

yes, as you told some amount of frequency of urination and cramping are common in pregnancy,
but if the frequency is associated with pain or burning sensation during urination which indicates infection, and if cramping gradually increases then only you have to take it seriously and get investigated,
complete the course of antibiotic treatment and regular checkup is enough if no symptoms are there.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.