Fleshy red sore bumps in the pubic area. Can this be STD?

I have a few fleshy red bumps around my pubic area, closer to the bikini line. They're a bit sore and don't pop like pimples. If I try pulling at them with tweezers they bleed. What are they? I'm so nervous they're a sign of an std. They don't seem to be puss filled.
Posted Tue, 12 Jun 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 3 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

I have gone through the query and photograph.

A bump over the pubic area could be a folliculitis or infections like warts or molluscum contagiosum. A simple cyst can bleed too.

It would be good if you can provide the following information as well.
1) Are the lesions persistent or they go away?What is the duration?
2) Do you have itching on lesions?
3) Any other body area has similar lesions?

If you could attach a more pictures of the lesion, it would be of great help. Then I can guide you to different treatment modalities.

Awaiting your response

Dr. Sudarshan
Follow-up: Fleshy red sore bumps in the pubic area. Can this be STD? 15 hours later
I just got the lesions within the last two to three weeks, it started with one or two and i now have 5. There is no itchiness but they are a bit sore/tender. I only have the spots in that area. What do I do to rid myself of these?
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 17 hours later
Hi dear,

Thanks for providing additional details.

According to description the lesion appear to be folliculitis - a bacterial infection of hair follicle.

Treatment consists of oral and topical antibiotics. Anti-inflammatory analgesics like ibuprofen 200mg twice a day for few days will take care of the pain.

Folliculitis is most commonly caused by bacteria called Staphylococcus aureus. Antibiotics like penicillin or cephalosporin are effective against this organism. You can get a prescription of the antibiotics from your local physician. While topical antibiotics like mupirocin or retapamulin which are available over the counter are also effective against staph infection.

You may try the topical antibiotics with over the counter anti-inflammatory drugs and plan to visit your physician for a prescription.

You would also need to know that recurrent folliculitis can occur in the setting of diabetes. So if you get such lesions again in future, you must check your blood sugars too. In addition a complete hemogram is also entailed.

Besides the medications,
1. You can use over the counter products like Tea tree oil / aloe vera lotion. These have anti infective and anti inflammatory activity.
2. Avoid shaving of affected area.
3. Home therapy for mild cases of bacterial folliculitis includes use of an over-the-counter antibacterial wash like benzoyl peroxide (Clearisil, Proactiv), chlorhexidine (Hibiclens), or Phisoderm twice a day. The best results may be achieved with combination therapy using topical products and antibacterial washes.

Hope this helps you. If you have any further queries I would be available for follow up.

Wish you a speedy recovery.

Dr Sudarshan