Flesh under the skin in front of ear itches. What can be the reason?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
The flesh under my skin in my jaw on right side just in front of ear itches badly. I have had this for 8 years and no one seems to know what it is. I am a 34 year old male who needs an answer. Any ideas?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
The persistent itching of the skin near the jaw without any visible rashes or lesions can be due to-
1. Multiple Chemical sensitivity - MCS. It can happen due to use of fragrance products or clothing.
2. Atopic or contact dermatitis.
3. Peripheral nerve damage.
A proper examination and evaluation by a dermatologist is needed by the dermatologist to find out the exact cause.
meanwhile applying a medicated anti-itch lotion (two brand names: Benadryl, Caladryl) to the area might reduce the itching. Placing cool compresses soaked in water mixed with white vinegar on the area might also ease the symptoms.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Flesh under the skin in front of ear itches. What can be the reason? 21 hours later
the itch that i have is not in the surface of the is in the muscle or gland. I have no rash or sore spots on skin surface. just a small lump on jaw in front of ear.
Thanks for writing again.
The lump on the jaw in front of the ear might be causing compression of the nerve fibers thus causing itching sensation. The cause of lump needs to be diagnosed after doing a Fine needle Aspiration biopsy. Removal of the lump might provide you the relief.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.