Flesh colored bump in the throat. No pain. Advice?

ENT Specialist
I see a small flesh colored bump next to my uvula in my throat. It almost looks like a skin tag or tiny flap of skin. It doesn't hurt and it's not white
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 8 hours later

The small flesh colored bump that you have noticed next to the uvula could be either a lymphoid follicle secondary to the infection or inflammation in that area or a sac filled with saliva called as mucocele.

Our body contains a lymphatic system which is responsible for defending the body against infections and spread of tumors. The lymphoid follicles are a part of this lymphatic system. These follicles which are nothing but a collection of lymphocytes (which are a type of white blood cells) have a tendency to expand significantly upon encountering a foreign antigen (a foreign molecule when introduced into the body, triggers the immune system).

The oral cavity contains plenty of these lymphoid follicles, which when exposed to any kind of infection or inflammation, get enlarged. Other structures which are part of this chain and have similar properties are the tonsils, adenoids and lingual tonsils (bumps behind the tongue).

Mucocele is a swelling in the mucosa consisting of collection of watery substance due to a ruptured salivary gland duct which is usually caused by a local trauma or obstructed or ruptured minor salivary glands.

To sum it up, both of them are relatively harmless swellings which will not cause any harm to the body and slowly disappear after sometime. If you have any discomfort or pain, you should consult your doctor for a complete check-up and further management.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon