Flaky reddish skin patch with irritation on the crease of elbow. Used hydrogen peroxide, neosporin. Not healing

I noticed last wed what appeared to be a rug burn type injury on my right arm in the left crease of my elbow. When I touched it the skin just peeled off. It then scabbed brown/ orange and thought it was healing. Last night I noticed it seemed to be redder and slightly raised with slight flaky patches of white skin. However, the redness has become more pink in 24 hours but it seems to have a slight burn to it as does my arm. I was in the sun yesterday for about an hour and am slightly burned. It is about 2 centimeters wide and tall and circular in shape. It was not previously a mole or anything. Just normal skin. It feels raised but I can't tell if its new skin growth or a raised bump. It's more flat raised if that makes sense, ie raised the same amount through out circular spot. Never had anything like this and don't understand the irratation. Please help.

I also had sex with my girlfriend a lot this past weekend as she was in town. Was thinking the sheets may have caused some type of irritation to it but now it seems to look different than it did. I have cleaned it with hydrogen peroxide and used neosporin a couple of times. Had athlethes foot last week and used tinactin and the athletes foot went away after one application. Tonight, Tuesday I sprayed the spot on my arm with it (tinactin) as well. Please advise if this was a bad idea. Wanted you to have all info so you can give me most accurate response.
Posted Tue, 26 Jun 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

Based on the description provided by you, I would suspect the lesion to be due to either a bacterial infection or due to contact dermatitis (allergic condition).

The chances of it being fungal are remote as no fungal infection involves swelling and peeling .Hence applying Tinactin was not a good idea .Also the Hydrogen peroxide use has to be limited when there is excess debris in the wound with pus.

I would understand the condition much better if you can upload a image of the lesion here.After looking at it I could be more specific in advice.

Waiting for the same.
Follow-up: Flaky reddish skin patch with irritation on the crease of elbow. Used hydrogen peroxide, neosporin. Not healing 2 hours later
It has never had puss and appears to have a shiny type skin growing in the middle. The edges have had white flaky skin. As the color has improved it seems to have risen higher as circumference has become smaller. Remember when I first noticed it, thought it was a rug burn. It actually scabbed like anything normal and then over the past 24-48 hours, it appears to be more raised and raw even though color has improved. Did the picture upload? Should I put XXXXXXX cidar vinegar on it?
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

Thanks for writing back.

Not all bacterial infections lead to pus , in some strains of streptococcus and staphylococcus involvement of superficial layers of the skin will be more presenting as a burn or as scaly macule due to death of superficial layers.

Do not apply Vinegar , if it is an infective condition then it can flare up badly and cause serious problem.

Thanks for the images.

After seeing the images ,I strongly feel that the lesion is neither bacterial nor fungal infection.

The presence of well demarcated hyperaemia (redness) makes me consider the lesion to be allergic in origin.It could be either due to a insect bite or contact dermatitis to a unnoticed sting by any foreign material.

It is a self limiting condition.Taking antiallergics will speed up its disappearance.If the lesion starts to grow or to present with any oozing discharge then applying creams like Betnovate twice daily is the best option.

Wish you good health and a speedy recovery.