Five days after a total thyroidectomy having a foul smell and taste. Is that normal?

I am five days post a total thyroidectomy and now I have a foul smell and taste is that normal
Posted Tue, 16 Oct 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later

The Post surgical bacterial infection of the oral cavity is more common.This happens due to consumption of medicinal substances and introduction surgical instruments during surgery.Such oral small and altered taste can also be seen in people with long term hospitalization.

This is not serious and can be treated well by Antiseptic mouth wash like CHLORHEXIDINE.Do wash your mouth after food twice daily with Chlorhexidine solution this will surely help you get rid of the bad taste and smell.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.