Fish smell from groin. Solution?

I have had an embarrasing fish smell from my groin area for the past 2 years...I have gone to several dermotogists, have taken cultures, and have been prescribed creams, salves, etc. and nothing helps...even taking 2 showers a day the next day the smell returns...I am a straight male living in there a different kind of Dr. I should be seeing or can you recommend a solution over the counter...I have tried all the obvious solutions already
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

Thanks for posting your query. Body odor is also known as Bromhidrosis. Normally the sweat is odorless but due to the action of Bacteria it produces an unpleasant smell. Basically what you may be having is the bacterial breakdown of apocrine sweat produced by apocrine glands. Sweat glands are of two types: eccrine and apocrine and apocrine glands are found in the groins.

The secretions of Apocrine glands has more protein which is easily broken down by bacteria producing bad odor. It can be due to fungal infections, overweight, eating spicy foods, thyroid disease and Diabetes.

You have got done cultures but few other tests also need to be done. These include KOH examination of the skin scrapings of the groin, thyroid function tests and your blood sugar levels. Apart from a dermatologist, you need to consult an endocrinologist as well.

Till the time you consult an endocrinologist, remove the groin hair and keep the area dry by using a talcum powder. Have a healthy and nutritious diet and maintain good personal hygiene. Add few drops of savlon to the water you use for bathing and use a good antiseptic soap.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.