Fish bone is stuck in throat. Having severe pain around chest area. CT scan and endoscopy required?

a fishbone is stuck in my wife's throat for last 3 days. she is complaining about severe pain around chest area, back. having slight fever. not been able to eat anything except liquid. nothing was found in the xray. doctors are talking about doing ct scan nd endoscopy? what is be done ? does endoscopy require admission in the hospital ? is ct scan needed ? can it not be treated with medicines ?
Posted Fri, 6 Sep 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Brief have to locate the presence of fish bone and then remove it.
Detailed answer...
I can understand the agony and anxiety being faced by you and your wife.
Since your wife is not having any violent coughing,it is quite clear that the piece of none is not in the windpipe or lungs.
It has to be somewhere in epiglottis or just above food pipe or in food pipe.
A CT scan shall be able to pinpoint the exact location of piece of fish bone and once the location is identified,it can be removed by an endoscope.
For endoscopy procedure,you require to be there in the hospital but not exactly an admission.It can be done as a day care procedure.
The piece of fish bone seems to be embedded in the musculature and has to be removed and can not be treated by taking any medicine.
I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck