Finished radiation for breast cancer. Noticed blood in stool. What is causing this?

I just finished radiation for breast cancer yesterday. I had a bowel movement and saw no blood but later in the day I had blood on my panties. I finished chemo 3 months ago. What could be happening?
Posted Tue, 5 Feb 2013 in Breast Cancer
Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 2 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX and thanks for posting the query
The linings of bowel are sensitive to the radiation and can cause inflammation of the track resulting in blood in stool. To get rid from that:
1. Eat fibre-rich foods such as fruits and vegetables like papaya, orange, cabbage, beans etc.
2. Chew food properly so that it will be easily digestible.
3. Drink 8 to 10 glasses of water regularly.
4. Eat plenty of leafy vegetables and salads.
5. Avoid smoking and alcoholism and also avoid drinking strong coffee/tea, fried and spicy food.
6. Take antacids like Digene, PPI inhibitors like Pantaprazole by consulting your treating doctor.
7. Do not allow your stomach to bloat.

If the blood is more frequent and large in amount you need to go the ER and get yourself examined properly. Always feel free to consult your treating doctor and any complications.

Hope I have answered your query. Write back for any follow up query.

Best Wishes
Dr. Kulbir Singh