Finished augmentin course to treat sinus infection. Why do I still have blocked nose, fatigue and yellow semen?

ENT Specialist
Hi Dr, I just finished my augmentin course to treat a sinus infection but right after that maybe 3 days I start having the same symptoms again which include blocked nose, fatigue. and by the way I used neti pot everyday and and I'm taking claritin D hopeing it could open up my nose so I can breas easily but none of that happened . anaother concern my semen is yellowish and since I'm a muslim I dind't have any sexual realtionship or unprotected sex...I'm hopeless I tried everytthing what this could be..!!?? thank you and I appreciate your help
Posted Tue, 5 Jun 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 26 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. There are many reasons for this. You may have a relapse or the organism is resistant. In Chronic Sinusitis, repeated infections are common. The sinus infection may also have a viral or fungal infection which will not respond easily to antibiotics. Sometimes there is Biofilm formation. Do you have fever?

2. Blocked sinuses are poorly ventilated and along with stasis of secretions, recurrent infection and inflammation is common.

3. You need to get an ENT Specialist to examine your nose and sinuses. A nasal swab or any discharge may be sampled for culture and antibiotic sensitivity. A plain CT PNS (Para Nasal Sinuses) will definitely help understand your problem.

4. Do not use the Neti Pot during active infection. Claritin D may cause rebound congestion.

5. You may require a further course of antibiotics, pain killers, anti-allergics, decongestants, mucolytics and steam inhalation. This should be done under medical supervision.

6. Yellowish discoloration of semen may be due to medication. Get a physician's opinion on this and the image that you have attached.

7. You may share your CT Scan and investigation reports here for more specific treatment options.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Follow-up: Finished augmentin course to treat sinus infection. Why do I still have blocked nose, fatigue and yellow semen? 1 hour later
Thank you so much Dr, I have an appointment with specialist at the memorial hospital on the 4th of XXXXXXX I will let you know about the Results
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 12 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

Please follow the above guidelines and kindly let me know the results.