Fingers tingle when angry. Is this normal?

Pediatrician, Critical Care
My fingers tingle when I get very angry. The only thing that helps is to rub my fingers aggressively over something... It is bad enough that my focus changes from what I am angry at to stopping the tingling in my fingers. Is this normal?
Posted Wed, 24 Apr 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Tejas Shah 37 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query here.

Based on what you are describing, it seems it is related to bit of panic from anger leading to Hyperventilation.

When we are angry, we start breathing faster. When we are breathing faster, Carbon dioxide levels in your body become very low and as a result, acid levels in body go down to very low levels and these alters levels of various chemicals in your body like Calcium, Carbon dioxide, Oxygen levels etc.

I am not sure if you are experiencing any other associated symptoms like:
Nausea, Sweating, pounding heart, feeling of fainting or may be chest pain during these tingling episodes.

I would suggest deep-breathing exercise during these episodes. Take a deep-breath in (feel as if the stomach is getting filled), hold your breath for couple of seconds and then slowly let air come out. Try these for 3-5 breaths and then breathe normally. It should settle down.

Some people get these episodes after drinking lots of caffeine-containing products like tea, coffee or carbonated beverages. Try to reduce your intake of these products.

If you are getting angry very often, and worrying a lot, it may help to discuss, address the issue with somebody you trust or your family physician.

Please do revert if you have any further queries.

Wishing you speedy recovery
Dr Tejas Shah