Fingers started twitching and shaking. What is the cause and cure?

Nov 2013

Hi there,
This is my third email regarding this issue, and I appreciate your doctors replies. As I mentioned previously, my left hand, and in particular, my left index finger, has been bothering me off and on for the past month or so. When it is fully extended, it shakes almost uncontrollably. And, once in a while, for example this morning when I was scratching the back of my head and it is curled up, when I go to straighten it out, it starts twitching by itself for a few seconds and I lose complete control over it. As I mentioned previously, I am very concerned about this and worried it is a sign of a serious illness such as ALS. What do you suggest? In general, my hand and fingers are a bit sore and stiff in the morning and as I type this, my index finger feels a bit sore. What do you suggest?

Thank you for your help as always.
Posted Sun, 30 Dec 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 8 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

I can understand your anxiety, with your current symptoms. However, I would like to reassure you that your symptoms do not suggest a diagnosis of ALS or any other serious neurological illness.

Involuntary movements of fingers are usually due to strain. In this case, they are transient and improve on their own.

In some cases, there could be mild dystonia (abnormal muscle tone) of forearm muscles, which can lead to tremors of fingers. This also is not a serious condition, and subsides on its own.

As of now, there is no need to worry. If your symptoms are troubling you, you may take a small dose of clonazepam.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Wishing you good health,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Follow-up: Fingers started twitching and shaking. What is the cause and cure? 41 hours later
Thank you.
It only shakes when extended fully, but shakes pretty badly. I also have a bit of pain inside the palm of my hand by my thumb. Would this be related? I guess, like I said, I am just concerned of it being something severe as I know tremors and twitching can be an early sign or something serious.
Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 5 hours later
Thank you for getting back with clarifications.

Shaking and pain are most likely related. However, as I said, your symptoms are not suggestive of any serious neurological illness.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)