Finger joint with a lump filled with liquid. What is this?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I have a finger joint with a lump with what appears to be filled with a liquid-it is also inflamed.I have sometimes pricked it to release the liquid . YYYY@YYYY
Posted Thu, 28 Nov 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 30 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Detailed Answer: Thanks for the query. In most cases this is cyst called ganglion cyst and this happens typically around finger and wrist joints. usually there is no some obvious reason for it but sometimes it happens due to prolonged pressure or intensive finger activity. It is filled with liquid which may become inflammed. It is not advisable to prick it by yourself. better consult surgeon and then permanent solution can be achieved by surgical removal under local anasthesia. Also,it can be drained by needle but then it may reocur so surgical removal is the best treatment.If there are signs of infalmmation now(redness,pain, pus) you should visit doctor too and start antibiotic treatment.If you notice finger numbness and swelling then consult doctor too as it may indicate nerve and vessels pressure. Wish you good health. Feel free to ask. Regards
Follow-up: Finger joint with a lump filled with liquid. What is this? 1 hour later
THank you for your explanation and advice-I shall consult my Doctor.
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 28 hours later
Brief Answer: you are welcome Detailed Answer: Wish you good luck