Fillers in face, lumps, on biaxin, sepsis. Serious?

I had fillers in my face and then developed painful bumps and lumps. I had fallen on
N the tennis court and had a bad XXXXXXX gash. my dermatologist told me the bumps were caused by an fection caused by bacteria in my bloodstream. He put me on Biaxin two days ago. I am 64. Could turn to sepsis? Should I have a blood test. When would the bumps go away?

Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

Definitely if there is a history of XXXXXXX gash after falling and now you have developed painful bumps and lumps, it looks like bacterial infection which causes pain, redness, warmth and sometimes pus formation and discharge. I suggest you to get a pus culture and a blood culture done.

Biaxin which you have been prescribed is Clarithromycin which is often prescribed for skin and respiratory infections.

Since you have started with the antibiotic, it is less likely that it will turn into sepsis because sepsis occurs when the infections goes untreated.

The bumps should likely go away in 7-14 days depending on the severity of the infection and its susceptibility to the antibiotic.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.