Filed for disability with veterans under isclemic heart disease after quadruple by pass. Found kidney problem. Suggestions?

My husband filed for disability with Veterans Affair under the agent orange XXXXXXX related to isclemic heart disease after quadruple by pass, he was awarded disability but was downgraded due to his corrected surgery by pass. during his illness wwe found he had kidney problems and now sees a specialist. We have very little information except his doctor recently stated that he had 40 percent kidney functioning. We are wondering if his kidney condition could have resulted from lack of oxygen during his heart troubles and are thinking about appealing his vietnam award as this was a result of his heart problem. Please give me any insight to this
Posted Sun, 14 Jul 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 2 hours later

It is my understanding you have a question regarding veterans disability benefits as it relates to heart and kidney disease. If the patient had the kidney issue before the surgery then obviously it was not related. However, if the kidney function was normal before the surgery and was abnormal after the surgery then I think the argument could be made there is a correlation. The other thing is if the renal function was abnormal before the surgery...and it was found to be quite a bit worse after the surgery the argument could be made that is was related to the cardiac disease and resultant surgery.

I hope I have answered your question. I would be happy to help you with any further questions you may have.