Fighting flu. Pregnant test showed faint positive line

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2016
Mar 2016

OBGYN
Question
I am 9 DPO, been feeling like I'm fighting the flu coming on. I took preg test yesterday and got faint positive took again a hour later and got faint positive again. Took one today and got BFN. Is that normal
Posted Sun, 3 Nov 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. S Patra 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
NORMAL. REPEAT HPT AFTER 14 DPO OR MISSED PERIOD.

Detailed Answer:

First of all, 9 DPO is too early for pregnancy test and you may get variable test result depending on the pregnancy kit.

Ideal time of pregnancy test is 2 weeks or 14 days DPO or soon after your first missed period. Most pregnancy test gives more than 95% positive result at that time. For confirmation, repeat pregnancy test or blood test for beta-hCG is done after 7 days of missed period. At that time, 99% positive result is achieved. For accurate result, morning urine sample is preferred.

Here, I suggest to wait few more days and repeat the pregnancy test after missed period to be sure and clear confusion.

Hope, I have answered your query. If you need any clarification, you can freely ask me.

Wish your good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen

For future query, you can directly approach me through
WWW.WWWW.WW

Follow-up: Fighting flu. Pregnant test showed faint positive line 8 days later
I am now 4 days late and still getting a BFN, is this normal .

Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
FOLLOW THE GUIDELINE.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for follow up query.

Period date may be delayed up to 7 days and we consider it as normal thing. It can occur due to hormonal imbalance and mental stress beside pregnancy.

Here, I suggest to wait another 3-4 days and repeat the pregnancy test after that or undergo one blood test for beta-hCG to exclude or confirm pregnancy.

On negative test, you may require progesterone pill (like Norethisterone etc) to induce period. Kindly, procure a complete prescription from your doctor.

Hope, I have answered your query. If you don't have any other query, you can close the discussion.

All the best. Good luck.

Dr Soumen