Fibromualgia, muscle, knee, hands hurt, bad gait and balance, feel tired. Steroids, orencia taken. Treatment?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
high sed rate (77) for 2 years. Bad muscle pain, knee, hands hurt. bad gait and bad balance. 62 years old women Diagnosed with fibromualgia. No sinovial fluid- dr. says not rhemetoid. very tired.-on Cymbalta. Stopped statins. My rhemtologist seems to be lost. Could it be Lupus? I have no rashes. Some mental confusion. I have tried steriods, orencia, methotrexate, nothing works
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
A chronic muscle and joint pain with a raised ESR are suggestive of fibromyalgia but can be due to many other diseases like Systemic lupus erythematosus(SLE), Chronic viral infection,etc.
To pinpoint the diagnosis, complete physical examination and investigations like complete blood counts, ESR, RA factor, CRP, serum uric acid, serum creatinine, X-ray and MRI joints from a rheumatologist are needed.
Meanwhile continue with your present treatment.
Take vegetables and fruits that are XXXXXXX in Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Calcium, Omega-3 Fatty acid, Zinc and Magensium.
Warm water is excellent source to ease and reduce joint pain. It relaxes muscles and increases motion.
You can ask for Joint Fluid Therapy from your rheumatologist. It is process of injecting gel in the joints and it acts as supplement for synovial fluid to cure arthritis. They include Synvisc, Hyalgan, Euflexxa and others. They are also for temporary relief in pain.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.