Fibromatosis,foot pain.Surgery?

Hi I am a very active 29 year old female just diagnosed with plantar fibromatosis. I love to run, hike, snowboard and do other such activites. I have been having great pain in my foot for a few months now and my doctor wants me to wait 3-4 weeks to see if things will calm down. I can no longer do the activities I love. What is your feeling on the best treatment for an active individual? He wants to do surgery if things are not better, but I don't see very good things about the surgery.
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Plantar fibromatosis if it mild and in earlier stage, mostly improves on taking mild pain killers. Hot fomentation of the sole specially around the heel also helps.
You can also do a mild massage on the underside of your foot just when you first get up in the morning.
This is an age related degenerative change and the decision to go for surgical treatment depends on the extent of problem that you are having.
With the mild pain killers and probably steroids under your orthopedician's guidance, you can return back to most of your routine daily activities comfortably.
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.