Fibroids in uterus, CA 125. Cancer?

CA 125 :

I had an ultrasound the dr said I had a substance and fibroids on my uterus and the lining was thick well yeah it as thick I was ready to start my period doc said to gt a CA 125 test to se if im am a higher risk for getting cancer from what i have read ca125 is for people who have cancer or th doc is thinking they have cancer ca125 numbers can be higher if ur on ur period or have fibroids why would the dr order the test unless he is seeing something he is not telling me my question is do they do they do a CA125 blood test to see if you are at a higher risk of cancer
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 1 hour later

I would like to know your age first. It appears that you are young, as you are still having your periods.

Fibroids in uterus are quite common and mostly do not require treatment, unless they are bothersome in some way, which is not the case in you.

A thick lining (I would like to know how much-in mm) in a premenopausal woman with no other symptoms (excessive or irregular bleeding) is also probably of no significance. Even if the doctor feels anything suspicious, then he/she should do an endometrial sampling rather than order a CA 125.

CA 125 is very non-specific. It is elevated in many causes other than cancer (which includes endometriosis-a condition where menstruating tissue is present at an abnormal location). In addition, in early cancer it will be normal.

If you can share with me your detailed clinical condition and the exact ultrasound report, then I will be able to guide you better.

I hope, this answers your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.