Fibroids, heavy bleeding, abdominal discomfort, on progestin, wants to try birth control pills, wants to do myomectomy. Safe to fly ?

I am a 48 year old caucasian woman with at least a 2.5 cm fibroid - submucosal, which is causing me heaving bleeding for 28 days straight (1 - 3 hours between sanitary changes, 1 oz clots). I have paid for a two week vacation in Italy (I live in Texas) that is due to start in three days. Is it XXXXXXX for me to fly with a fibroid? Is it possible for my bleeding to get much worse (hemorrage) while flying or while vacationing? I can cope with what is going on now, including the abdominal discomfort, but am concerned about taking the trip. Thank you!
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for the query.

You can still enjoy your trip but I encourage you to bring copious amounts of supplies to tend to your needs. The trip itself will bot increase risk of hemorrhage.
I don't think you are dealing with a life threatening issue here but obviously your doctor will need to address this surgically in the near future.

If while traveling you experience extreme fatigue, worsening abdominal pain, excessive bleeding or fainting spells these are indications that you should seek medical attention. Along those lines when you get to your destination you should ask where the local health facility is located just so
you can be extra aware should you need attention.

Bottom line - enjoy your trip. Also make sure you jab your doctor address this after you return as this will resolve with minor surgical intervention.

Thanks again for the query. I hope this has served to be helpful for you. If you have additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga
Follow-up: Fibroids, heavy bleeding, abdominal discomfort, on progestin, wants to try birth control pills, wants to do myomectomy. Safe to fly ? 1 hour later
Thank you! Any advice on meds that might help w/in a week? Progestin is doing squat. The doctor has suggested a combination birth control pill to try next.

And by the way - I have purchased five boxes of tps. for the trip, and do have surgery (myomectomy) scheduled for October 25.

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 35 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

Did your doctor offer you a hormone injection? Sometimes a Progesterone injection or variation of Progesterone may be used. Your doctor may think this is not a good choice due to the location of the fibroid however. You can discuss this option with your doctor.

Otherwise, my only advice would be to avoid taking Aspirin or Ibuprofen, as these of course will alter the normal function of your platelets and could worsen any bleeding you encounter.

It sounds like you are determined to enjoy the trip you worked so hard to plan and I support you all the way in doing so!

Again thanks for the query and let me know if I may assist you with any other concerns.

Dr. Galamaga