Ffractured a rib. Took calcium pills and percoset for pain. Time to heal?

Mar 2013
I apparently fractured a rib last year and I have had four episodes of extreme pain from this in the last year. How long does it take to heal? I'm 66 years old and I take calci8um pills. They give me percoset when I have these episodes; but I just want this to heal.
Posted Mon, 1 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 11 minutes later
Thank you for your query.
Normally a fracture heals up in 6 weeks, but it depends on your age and general well being.
Since you have co morbidities like diabetes, hypertension , coronary disease, it is possible that the fracture might have healed inappropriately or in incorrect alignment, leading to persistent pain even now.
Diabetes itself can reduce your pain threshold, making your nerves more sensitive.
Along with calcium, take vitamin D also to supplement bone strength.
I would advise consulting an orthopedic surgeon who would evaluate whether the fracture has healed properly.
Alongside, consult your physician also who would evalute the recent status of your coronary disease, as cardiac disease can sometimes cause referred pain in the rib area.

Generally speaking, moderate regular exercise, a healthy diet and positive thinking can work wonders.
You need to try out yoga / gentle stretching / relaxational techniques also.

Take care. Be well.
Feel free to discuss further anytime you want.