Fever,cold packs,typhoid

My son is having fever since 9 days, Typhoid is detected in last 3 days, doctor is suggested ZIFI 100, 5 ml in morning and 5 ml at night. his fever is still continuing and coming in intervals of 6 to 8 hours. He is finished 6 dozes (amounting 30 ml total). Fever is still going at the same frequency. Fever is in the range of 102 to 103, then we also give him cold water packs on forehead and body. SHALL WE CONTINUE THE SAME MEDICINE? WHAT IS THE FOOD INTAKE SUGGESTED? IS CURD GOOD FOR HIM?
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 30 minutes later

I presume that widal test is positive in your son. The gold Standard Tests for diagnosis of Typhoid Fever is as follows
1. Blood Cultures in First Week of fever
2. Blood and Urine Culture in 2nd Week
3. WIDAL is a test which becomes positive only after 1st week of fever.

If you feel that the fever is not subsiding after regular antibiotic treatment then i would suggest you to go for blood and urine culture while continuing the present treatment. This test will help in determining the antibiotic best for your child. You can also go for card test for malaria to rule out another common cause.

In case of typhoid fever it sometimes takes upto 7 days for the fever to subside and intestinal symptoms may take 3-4 weeks to come back to normal.

A few dietary guidelines include-
- Drink boiled and properly filtered water.
- Increase fluid intake – glucose water, soups, fresh juices, coconut water.
- Good quality proteins like egg and milk should be incorporated.
- Minerals especially calcium, iron and phosphorus is to be provided liberally as they help in regeneration of cells, blood and body fluids.
- Diet must be planned judiciously to provide good dose of vitamins especially vitamin A and vitamin C as these are essential for the regenerative purpose.
- High fluid and soft diet in small frequency is recommended.
- Food must be appetizing and made after considering the likes and dislikes of the patient.
- Fatty, highly fibrous and very spicy foods should be avoided as they are hard to digest.

You can give him curd too.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.