Fever with no other symptoms. When should i start worrying?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My 5 year old has a fever whiteout any other symptoms. When do I need start to worry. Thanks
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
It appear that your son could be having possible Viral fever which is supported by , feeling feverish without any systemic symptoms.
Fever is when temperature is 100 degree farenheit or more usually. Normal body temperature is usually 98.6 degree farenheit.
Usually viral fevers will subside on their own within a week or two unless they get complicated.
You need to watch out for any high rise of body temperature, chills or rigor, inability to feed properly, loss of conciousness, cough, runny nose, etc. If any of such symptoms appear, do consult his pediatrician for proper prescription medicines.
Keep him well hydrated with plenty if warm fluids and especially fruit juices.
Keep warm, avoid exposure to cold as this could aggravate the problem.
Give him plenty of fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables with high protein diet like cereals, pulses, chicken, lean meat, eggs.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.