Fever with chills, body ache, cough, headaches. Coworker had pneumonia. Could I have caught infection ?

A nurse that I work with has pneumonia and (dx from chest XRay, labs not back). I began feeling ill 5 days ago. I started running fever 3 days after my co-worker's onset of symptoms. I have been alternating ibuprofen & Tylenol every three hours, and have been taking mucinex & decongestants & resting & drinking plenty of fluids. The fever (high of 102.9) chills, and aching are controlled by Meds but return when 3 hrs go by. I also have a headache, & slight cough, with no notable sputum. I also have fatigue, especially going up stairs, but just slight discomfort coughing, no pain on inspiration or expiration (stethoscope is @ work). My question is "should I go to ER for chest x-ray, & labs, or is it reasonable to wait until tues morn to see PCP, since this is memorial day weekend & if it is viral abx wont help. Other info, HR 70 reps 24
Posted Sat, 16 Jun 2012 in Infections
Follow-up: Fever with chills, body ache, cough, headaches. Coworker had pneumonia. Could I have caught infection ? 4 minutes later
Meant to say he began feeling sick 5 days ago, I began feeling ill this last Friday morning may 25
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 8 hours later
From your description, it seems more likely to be a viral chest infection.
Since there is no notable sputum, a bacterial infection is less likely. With the good supportive care you are taking, your symptoms are likely to improve over next 3-4 days.
Inhaling steam from a bowl of hot (but not boiling water) may help to soften, and loosen, the buildup of mucus in your nose. You may also find that adding some menthol crystals, or eucalyptus oil, to the water helps a lot. Other than that, avoid eating indigestible, spicy, foods and meats and eat simple wholesome foods. Out-of-door exercise, sunbaths also help a lot.
If the high grade fever continues or the cough is worsening then it is advisable to get a X-ray chest and blood work done to rule out pneumonia as well.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.