Fever, visibly swollen parotid glands and swollen ankles. Will mumps effect pregnancy by contact?

My 42 year-old husband woke up this morning with a fever, visibly swollen parotid glands and swollen ankles. We have just found out I'm pregnant (5weeks) so we're very scared he has the mumps. I was given the MMR vaccine 30-odd years ago, but I can't remember having a booster shot. Should we be worried?
Posted Sat, 26 May 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
If you have had MMR vaccine even if it was 30 years ago, it is likely to be effective even now.
As long as you are not infected with mumps, there is nothing to worry.
To be sure, you can get your IgG and IgM levels analysed for mumps. This will indicate about the present infection if there is any.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Fever, visibly swollen parotid glands and swollen ankles. Will mumps effect pregnancy by contact? 23 hours later
Thank you for your speedy reply, Dr. Tayal!

It is a long weekend here in the UK, so the earliest my husband and I can visit our GP to be tested for mumps is on Tuesday. He is still visibly swollen and his neck is stiff and sore, but he is feeling fine otherwise. No fever, no aching joints, etc. Hopefully he has some other virus other than mumps.

If he does have it, though, and for some reason I contract mumps (worst case scenario), what would be the statistical chances of miscarriage?

Thanks again for your help,

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 9 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
In case you contract mumps infection, your chances of having a miscarriage increase by upto 15%.
Let us hope for the best as only blood test will help in identifying if you are infected or not.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.