Fever, sore throat, head ache. Rapid strep test for Strep A came back negative. What antibiotic to prefer?

My husband took my 10yo daughter to doctor today - she has fever (over 101), very sore throat, head ache. Rapid strep test for Strep A came back negative.
Dr. still prescribed her Amoxicillan .... when asked if it could be a virus she said that was possible.
I want my daughter to get well but don't like the idea of throwing a 10 day scribe of antibiotic if it's not bacterial.

Suggestions on how long to wait and/or what we should be looking for that would suggest we give her the antibiotic.

Thank you very much.
Posted Sun, 1 Jul 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 2 hours later

I can appreciate your concern for your daughter.

Normally in initial days the presentation of both viral and bacterial infection are same as she is having.

Let me share some information about this with you.

Viral Illness:
>Most of the viral illnesses are self limiting and patients starts feeling well in couple of days.
>In between fever patients is quite normal as if not sick.
>Fever usually remains high for first day and then gradually the spike goes down and disappears.

In bacterial infection:
>The patients look sick
>Even in the absence of fever she will look sick and remain partially active
>There will increasing fever over days unless treated with antibiotics

By these general guidelines you should have some idea about the probable cause.

Apart from all this things, as a doctor after examination has given antibiotics I would prefer that she should be given antibiotics. Amoxicillin is a very good and safe drug. In initial days the diagnosis is not clear in most of the patients.

Still if you want to wait, you can wait for fever and other symptoms to subside in case of viral in 2-3 days.

Apart from this in general please do following which should help.
1. Give plenty of fluids
2. Give her proper nourishing diet
3. Ask her to take proper rest
4. Maintain a temperature chart
5. Give medicines for fever as and when required.

I hope this helps and clarify your concern.

Please write again if you have something more to ask.

In case you do not have further query, please accept the answer.

Wishing her speedy recovery.