Ask a Urologist   »  

Fever, shivering, painful urination. What is the cause? Is it serious? How can I avoid it in the future?

Facts:for the last few days i running high fever with shivering folloewd by when i try to pass urinn it pain/buriing
Quarry: what is generraly cuase of this problem?
Is it a serios problem?
How much time it generraly take to heal/
what precation should one take in future to avoid this?
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware 40 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

The symptoms of having:-
-High grade fever
-Pain and burning when passing urine, are suggestive of infection in urinary tract.

You need to get treated with antibiotics for the eradication of infection and for fever.

So what you need to do is get a urine routine test done to confirm the infection.

If your report shows severe infection and the response to antibiotic medicines is not good then the doctor may even suggest you to do a Urine culture and sensitive report to locate the type of organism and select the antibiotic from the report and then treat you.

If treated in time it is not serious so please get it treated soon. As far as the time to recover is concerned you will start feeling better in 48 hours after start of antibiotic and to recover completely and you will need to take antibiotics for a period of 7-10 days depending upon the severity of your infection which the doctor will advise you.

As a preventive method you should :-

-Drink plenty of water
-Maintain personal and local hygiene
-You can also have fruits and juice especially pine XXXXXXX and cranberry which help to recover fast and prevent recurrence of infections.

I hope this answer is helpful to you. But if you have any query please write back.

Get well soon.

Follow-up: Fever, shivering, painful urination. What is the cause? Is it serious? How can I avoid it in the future? 51 minutes later
One of my quarry was what are reasons which causes this type of problem ,i have never experience this earlier.
secondly what precautions one should take to avoid in future?
Answered by Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware 25 minutes later

Thanks for the follow-up.

The infection in urine is caused by bacteria especially seen with E.coli; if a person has diabetes; in uncircumcised person if the hygiene is poor; and in some cases it is a genetic predisposition to get bladder infection.

As a precaution you should maintain good hygiene that is the first thing.

What you can do that is take bath daily and try to clean private parts by retracting the foreskin, change your undergarments daily.

Secondly as I had suggested you can use cranberry juice or even capsules are available.

When you are getting treated you need to keep good follow up with your doctor and should complete the advised course of antibiotics for the advised period.

If the infection comes back again then you will have to get a culture and sensitivity test of urine done and then get treated accordingly.

Hope I have answered all your queries. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.